Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/mesquite/public_html/include/dbconnect.php on line 9
Warning: mysql_connect(): Headers and client library minor version mismatch. Headers:50552 Library:50633 in /home/mesquite/public_html/include/dbconnect.php on line 9 Mesquite Nevada Number One Online News Source Mesquite Citizen Journal
* Barbara Ellestad, Publisher * ALL Content Copyright 2011-2014*
I am a candidate for the office of Justice of the Peace in Mesquite and have found that a candidate seeking this office has a mistaken understanding of what her duties will entail.Though many of the statements made this week in an editorial were good and accurate these are a few that need clarification or correction.
1. Claims for monetary damages are limited to $7,500 for small claims cases and $10,000 for other civil claims.The distinction is that in a small claims action the judicial rules are relaxed to allow people to represent themselves (attorneys are not allowed to argue the case).
2. Arraignments are to formally charge and to explain the defendants’ rights, not to ascertain whether there is sufficient evidence to bind over to District Court. The Preliminary Hearing is the setting where evidence is heard in order to
determine sufficiency to bind over to the District Court.
3. A Justice of the Peace (he or she) can perform marriages.
4. The most glaring error is found in the statement that Mesquite Justice Court is “not a court of record for obvious reasons.”I am not sure what the obvious reasons are because Mesquite Justice Court is a “Court of Record.”Mesquite Municipal Court is not.This means that an official record is kept of the proceeding in the Justice Court.
I am not sure that the reason state statute only requires a high school diploma to be a Justice of the Peace is that in the frontier days there were no legally trained individuals.Perhaps it is an understanding, from a simpler time, that the ability to judge fairly doesn’t come from legal training but from an ability to discern the truth and execute a wise judgment.
Theron N. Jensen
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 Can't figure out why rich man Theron Jensen is running for this office other than to keep the LDS Church in control. He has plenty of money and his fingers in everything. Why must he want the court to be under his rule? Don't vote for this guy. Vote for the city attorney. He has the education needed for the job. By: ronnie
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 Well said, Mr. Jensen, especially the last paragraph. Too often, because laws and the legal system are inherently contradictory, legal training will often cloud the "ability to discern the truth and execute a wise judgment." In Vegas, for example, there are way too many judicial decisions that are technically and legally correct, but morally wrong and devoid of true justice. And always remember...Solomon wasn't a lawyer. By: Devon
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 To Ronnie...that's 10% more he can donate! By: J
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 ronnie...your ignorance is showing, but it always does when you post comments. By: sherry
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 Keep religion out of the court system. Theron jensen is not the right pick for JP. Asst city attorney Ryan Toone is the best choice. By: Eddie
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 I have known Ryan Toone for a long time and he is compete, honest and will be the best Justice of the Peace. It makes no sense to choose someone who has no experience and already has a full time job running a church. By: Jerod
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 I don't like attorneys ! But if a non attorney is elected, the government had better jack up the liability insurance real high. Who will pay for that?? By: cliff
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 Gee Sherry, seems more people agree with me than you. Not ignorance, just good old American opinion. That's my right no matter what you think. AND it will continue. Time for a real licensed judge at minimal pay, too. By: ronnie
Posted Date: 06/07/2012 Ryan has paod his dues, went to law school and worked in the legal field. Why would anyone vote for someone who was never interested in the law before? They are only doing it for the money. By: Nancy
Posted Date: 06/12/2012 Please dont vote for Theron Jensen he DOES have his fingers in everything and just look at all the delapetated building he owns and wont repair them to make our down town look better...even if it was only the front of those buildings Theron,just like the front your putting up to get elected. shame on you. By: susie